Leaders in school
There is an old saying that there are three kinds of people in the world. First those who make things happen, second those who watch things happens and third those who wonder what had happened. Leader fall in to the first category.
Leader is the vital art and science of bringing people together in a meaningful relationship in order to produce out standing results. Educational Planned, serving the needs and interest of education community and bring out the support from them, keeping the team focused on substantive results, building a long term value added network of relationship, trying it all together strategically.
Successful educational leaders must meet and balance the needs of stakeholders. These leaders are the future makers. Effective leadership is much like the functioning of a beating heart. The heart, receives, and gives energetic glow to the body of organisms.
It is generally agreed that standard of education at school level in the public section of our country has deteriorated to a considerable extent. Besides other reasons like ineffective teaching, lack of learning motivation, faulty examination system, one extremely important reason is the non-availability effective school leadership style applied in our institutions.
- Non-interfering leadership in which the leaders keep themselves at a low level of work and focus only on routine.
- Second type is authoritarian leaders. They are good at negative politics and they some how maneuver things to their advantage.
- Benevolent autocrat: They form their own vision of a good school with some fixed notions, start working on their mission and don not believe in shared vision or decisions.
- The fourth category is micro political leadership. They believe in divide and rule policy. There main task is to create a chaos and confusion so that they can ensure personal illegal benefits.
- The fifth kind of leadership is remote control. The leaders are selected to fill a place for official purposes. They have to work in restrictive environment and they are practically controlled by the governing body through one or more members. They take the order from the top and enforce them in the school.
- Another leadership model is constructive leadership which emphasis students as leaders, teachers as leaders so every one performs an act of leadership. Pedagogical leadership deals with the over all school improvement including children’s personal and moral development. Pedagogical leaders are sensitive to the needs of students, teachers and community.
7. Lastly democratic leadership is the one where’s the leader involves others in decision making and which is good for long term change. Effective educational leaders are known solely by the action they take, the practical they demonstrate and by the relation the form. They are practical visionaries and invite other people to share and develop their vision. They are engaged in helping others to produce outstanding outcomes. They have a high level of self awareness and skillfully manage fear, ego and impatience.